Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pinwheel Sampler Part 1

I am so pleased with
Alyssa's finished quilt top.

I wish I could say that my LQS had more of the white I need, but no such luck so I decided to stew a couple days on the borders before attaching them. I had envisioned a 2" white to continue to "float" the blocks, then either a blue or pink strip, finished with about 6" of the white. They had a pure white at the LQS that was close enough I could use for the thick outside strip, but it couldn't be used right next to the other soft white.

Before I send them both out to my quilter to do her magic, I thought it would be fun to have both girls pick something for her quilt onto the top. Katelyn doesn't even hesitate and and picks butterflies, they'll be perfect with the soft colors of the quilt. Alyssa pipes up after a minute and announces that she wants monkeys eating bananas. It is so her, I think I am going to find out if Amy could do it.


I had a few struggles with the oddly sized blocks, especially when attaching the final vertical strip, I had to rip out an inset seam not once, not twice but three times until the tiles fit together right.


This is one of my favorite blocks, I can't remember anymore if this was once of Rachel'spinwheels or one I choose from Quilter's Cache where many of my other pinwheel patterns came from. I just love the mix of stripes and floral fabric.

Unfortunately, I had other things going on today... buying new tomato plants for the garden being a important one, so I didn't get Katelyn's done. I have the strips ready to go together, but I was so disappointed that I couldn't get more of that white that I lost my drive when I got home to get hers assembled. I thought I would post my in progress picture. I think this one will be perfect too. I am still amazed that I was able to complete 2 quilt tops with 1 layer cake (well, and lots of background fabric--5 yrds!).

Happy Mother's Day to everyone.
Kami

5 comments:

Leah said...

These are gorgeous! I love the design(s) and that beautiful, beautiful fabric! You are so talented, Kami. :)

Anonymous said...

How was your Mother's Day? Aj will LOVE! her quilt, but shouldn't she be giving you a gift on your day? Every other day is Kg or Aj day! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the floating of the pinwheels!! Ama

Lori Pierce said...

Very pretty. These are quilts are a ton of work and I'm very impressed by how quickly you can go.

limpingalong said...

Lovely, dainty quilt.

I found a pattern that I drew a diagram of -- had your blog address at the bottom. I assumed it came from you but I have looked through your blog and I can't find anything that looks like my diagram. So, heaven only knows what I was trying to make a copy of. It looks a little like it might have been a flower -- I think the colors were red/white/green/black (black looks like a stem) I'll see if I can make sense of it. Anyway, enjoyed the visit.