Thursday, May 6, 2010

Pinwheels

I have been up to my eyeballs in pinwheel blocks for the last 2 months. If you don't know, psiquilt has been hosting a pinwheel quilt along. I had a layer cake that I loved the fabrics but had been ignored for over a year. So I decided to join.


I started out as a perfectly happy follower, two each of 8 different 12" pinwheels. but I had these small scraps that I didn't want to throw away. At the same time, I realized that 4 rows of 4-12" blocks would not inspire me to finish.... I have two girls, so since we did 2 of each style I decided to split the blocks in half. Eight 12" blocks for each girls, but that would make a pretty small quilt not what I was envisioning them cuddling under watching movies. So I started using my scraps, and sewing various sized pinwheels. Last night I finished the last six for both quilts.


Each quilt has
eight-12" block
one-9" block
three-8" blocks
two-6 1/2" blocks
two-6" blocks
two-5" blocks
four-4" blocks

That is 22 blocks for each quilt, in 7 sizes so I sketched out a map of what I hope each quilt will look like. I want of the pinwheels to look like they are floating on a white background. So far I love it, but since the deadline is this Saturday, to have all the quilts quilted for a virtual parade, I am disappointed that mine will only be a top (or 2) to show off.

Here are my two quilts without any of the white background fabric "filler" Looks like I may be pulling an all-nighter tomorrow to get the two of them finished.



Is anyone else racing to get a project done? I would love to hear about it.
Kami

2 comments:

Crafty Maine Mom said...

I'm struggling to get my pinwheel top put together. I made 18 blocks but don't like the lay out so I am struggling to find 1 more pinwheel pattern make two blocks and put the top together. I don't think it's going to be done. Your quilts look great. i love all the different sizes.

Lori Pierce said...

Looks like a fun project. Did you finish in time this morning? :)